Treatment will be based on the latest evidence based research (i.e. independent research to prove that physiotherapy works) and using the latest equipment e.g., ultrasound and electromyography (muscle activity) units etc.
Treatment will usually be a combination of the following:
- Mobilisations/ Manipulation (to reduce pain and stiffness)
- Electrotherapy e.g. ultrasound (to decrease pain and speed up the healing process)
- Exercises (strength, stretching and muscle balance mainly) specific to your individual needs
- Acupuncture (very effective to control pain and therefore speed recovery and avoiding the long term use of pain killers)
- Postural advice for work and home (it is common that simple adjustments can solve problems)
- Advice on lifestyle and stress management
- Sports massage also available for pre or post sport activity to increase performance and decrease muscle soreness
Once the treatment has solved your initial problem you will be provided with an exercise programme to prevent the recurrence of the problem (which is very common) and therefore this will be addressed as it is often neglected.
Booking an appointment:
What happens on the first appointment?
Before any treatment a full assessment will be completed. This will include taking a full medical history followed by a thorough subjective and physical examination of your problem.
After this assessment a diagnoses will be given and explained to you. Then an effective treatment plan will be developed, taking into account your lifestyle, leisure activities and general health, individually tailoring it to suit your needs. This session will take approximately 45 minutes (including treatment).
The goals of the assessment are to:
- determine the source of your pain/complaint
- determine the structures that are contributing to that pain/complaint
- make a diagnosis which will guide your treatment plan
- discuss with you a reasonable treatment plan based on the findings/goals of the assessment & your goals & expectations
If you are comfortable with the treatment plan, we will continue with your initial treatment which will be focused on reducing your symptoms and moving you towards recovery. Your treatment will likely include hands on manual therapy, education, some home exercises, and electrical modalities such as ultrasound. All techniques will be discussed first and your consent obtained. Only the treatments you are comfortable with will be administered. You will find our therapists focused and committed to one-on-one treatment.
- We aim to provide treatment that meets your expectations. Following this an individual treatment plan is then developed from the findings of the assessment and your individual goals.
- The physiotherapist will constantly be assessing that your treatment programme is effective and you are achieving these goals.
- Please bring with you any letters or referrals from your consultant or GP
- You may be asked to remove some items of clothing so that the joint/muscles can be assessed clearly. Also wearing shorts or track suit bottoms maybe easier for the physio to assess you
- If you intend to claim off an insurance policy, please bring the insurance details with you
- Home visits can be arranged
- Appointments cancelled without 24 hours notice or missed appointments, may be subject to pay the full cost of the appointment
Please click on the maps page for the clinic locations (Kingston, Ham and Surbiton)
We aim to maintain the highest level of professional service and minimise discomfort to patients. All physiotherapists should fully explain the nature of the examination which will be done in order to assess and treat your problem, and will obtain informed consent in order carry this out.
If you are attending the clinic you are entitled to bring a chaperone if you feel uncomfortable about the assessment or treatment. If you need a chaperone and are unable to bring one along, we will endeavour to provide you with a chaperone of the same sex but you will need to inform us of this requirement prior to your treatment date/time
Access to patient information
You have the right to access your records. This must be made in writing and all notes will be returned within 14 days (£30 fee). And requests made by a 3rd party should include written consent from the subject of those records.
We welcome all comments, complaints or suggestions that will help us to provide a better service in the future.
You can give feedback via the email link or you can write to us.
We value your feedback as it helps us improve our services as well as maintain the high level of physiotherapy care that our patients expect.
Please provide us with as much information about your experience as possible, in order for us to gain a full understanding of your concerns. Your issues may be discussed with the management team of the specific location and your response will stay anonymous from the treating therapist.